Constantly rubbing dry, itching, burning eyes is uncomfortable, and applying drops non stop in order to feel any sort of relief can become a hassle. That is why July is Dry Eye Awareness Month, to inform and bring attention to this all to common disease affecting an estimated 4.88 million Americans age 50 and older.
About Dry Eye
Dry Eye is a problem caused either by the inability of your eye to not produce enough tears, or the condition of these tears produced is of poor quality not fit to properly nourish the eye.
The main causes for dry eye come from natural aging, the outdoors, computer screens, and contact lenses. The most common of these is age, as 60% less oil is produced at age 65 than at age 18.
Some common symptoms associated with dry eye are:
- Discomfort and irritation
- Grittiness or feeling of a foreign body in the eye
- Burning or stinging sensation
- Vision disturbance
- Sensitivity to light
- A safe way to increase your Omega-3 intake, as this Dry Eye Omega Benefits® provides 2-3 grams of Omega-3s in the re-esterified triglyceride form (rTG)
- By applying either semi-permanent or dissolvable plugs in the eye, the escape of tears in the tear ducts is prevented, allowing for moisture to remain on the cornea for a longer period of time
- Bucci Laser Vision brought this technology ( LipiView/LipiFlow) to NEPA in March 2013, a demonstration of this procedure can be seen here . A spa like treatment heats the eye lids freeing blocked glands and allowing the natural oils to return, which create a barrier preventing moisture from evaporating
The National Eye Institute continues to research and develop treatments in order to advance findings in the underlying causes of dry eye as stated in Ocular Surgery News
Here at Bucci Laser Vision we are Dry Eye Experts, offering you specialized attention through our very own Dry Eye Clinic. We are committed to bringing you the best technology available to treat your individualized needs, because it is finally time for YOU to find relief from your eye discomfort.